The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Species identification

Home Forums Global Species Species identification

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    CAUVET Christian
    Participant

Hello

I am, with a great pleasure, a new member of this forum. Fascinated since a long time by Paros, I have for the moment 3 different ones at home, all bought in the trade under the (false) name of deissneri.

Could you help me to identify this one. H. Gonin told me it is probably harveyi. A friend bought it for me in Germany in september 2011. It now breeds and I have 15 20 days old youngs

Thanks

[IMG]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8271/parosidentifier.jpg[/IMG]
    Shot at 2012-05-19

Martin Fischer
    Participant

Hi Omaha,

due to the relatively long filaments of the pelvic fins and the cleanly shaped iridescent bands in the unpaired fins, I would definitely not tend to harveyi, but perhaps to P. bintan or even more to some undescribed form from Sumatra, e.g. “Sentang”.

My harveyis have much shorter filaments and overall shorter fins. Besides, the iridescent band in the unpaired fins is not that precisely drawn, but looks a bit “shattered”. You can compare the photos in the “species” section.

Apart from that, beautiful fish! Good luck with the fry.

Martin

Bill Little
    Participant

I would have suggested Parosphromenus harveyi also. If you go to the species page and compare your photo with the one on that page they look like a match. I wish you luck with your breeding efforts. Please go to the profile page and indicate where you are from. Welcome.

CAUVET Christian
    Participant

Thanks for your two answers. I have found no picture of sp “Sentang”, so I can’t compare with my fish.
    The picture of P. harveyi on its page also shows a fish with iridescent bands ont the fins.

for Martin : I have completed my profile. I am from France (normandy) I’ll complete it next with an avatar.

Christian

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hello Omaha.

That a beautiful photo of your fish. I have got a reply to your post from Peter, who at the moment is in Poland, and has send the message from his telephone, – I will post here what he says :

I read this in Eastern Poland and can respond shortly only via mobile phone.
    1. Sentang: There are good Pictures by “Big Tom” in our Forum. Perhaps Helene could help. Your fish are no Sentang, that species is the most traded P. In Recent years but Looks rather dull.
    2. Harveyi: your fish are no harveyi as Martin said already. The ventrals are false and the Black band at the end of the caudal is Not broad enough.
    3. Your fish are probably the so-called “blue line”. This Name Shows the stupidity of the Commercial Traders and they Sell different fish from Sumatra with this Name. You habe Been lucky for yours are beautiful.
    Please excuse the mistakes in.my messsage, they are due to that silly technique of my mobile phone.
    Peter Finke

Please for photoes of Sentang look in this thread, there are some wonderful pictures here by Big Tom https://parosphromenus-project.org/en/forum/26-Pictures/468-Toms-Bucket-Of-Mud—Paro-sp-sentang.html

CAUVET Christian
    Participant

Thank you very much for Peter’s and Helene’s new contributions to help me to identify this fish. So with all your answers, I think the best for me is to keep my fish as “sp” CI 2011 ( CI for “Commercial Import” it is the way we name killifish that are found in the trade ( I am for a very long time a killifish aquarist (and collector)). I’ll soon know in which shop it had been bought ( Kolle zoo or Zoo Zajac ?)
    But you can propose me another way to name it.
    Thanks

Martin Fischer
    Participant

Hello everyone,

only for the sake of completeness I wanted to add some pictures of my harveyi to point out the differences between them and Omaha’s fish.

To me, the iridescent band in the unpaired fins of Omaha’s fish looks much cleaner and more consistent. In the harveyi it looks a bit “mottled” (esp. in the caudal fin).

The colour of the harveyi’s iridescent band is blue, but only in the anal fin while it turns to some sort of white in the caudal and the dorsal fin. This appears even slightly golden (due to the yellowish water?).

In my opinion, the harveyi also look more stout in general.

I think it’s a good idea to name your fish like you did (at least provisionally) and keep them seperate. Perhaps it is able to find out where they came from. …As far as I remember, there were P. bintan traded at that time in Germany. They were confirmed to be “real” bintan and available in several shops e.g. Tropicwater.

Furthermore good luck!

Peter Finke
    Participant

Omahas’s fish are typical “classic” spec. Blue line. They were the most traded Paros between 2005 and 2008, and there are still many sold in the shops in Europe, called “deissneri” or “spec. bintan”. There is even a location for them on Sumatra, the Sungai Tuncal. It’s a very productive region; every years many thousands of them have been caught and exported to the world, often bearing a wrong name.
    Presently, the amonut of the catches have been reduced what whatever reasons. But they are still caught. But the naming is sometimes changed for the hope of better maney. They are classical spec. blue line.
    If they are identical with bintan, nobody knows. What the relation to harveyi is, nobody knows either. We probably have to wait some years for genetical clarity. But they are wonderful, colourful fish. At any rate, try to breed them! Presently, we have not so many of them in our network.

CAUVET Christian
    Participant

Thanks to Martin ad Peter

So I’ll consider it is not harveyi but species blue line. I hope I’ll succed with the young fish I have got. After, I’ll try other species, if I succeed in getting some.

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, I will add my question to this topic;) I received picture from my friend with some Parosphromenus sp. He have them in his stock – any ideas about species? He want to send me those paros – I have P. sp. “Sentang” and I’m worry that this is the same species?

Peter Finke
    Participant

Martin, it is difficult to say from one picture only. It shows the fish neither in normal nor in displaying colouration, but in frightened colouration (vertical bars!). But for 60% it’s not spec. Sentang but something between rubrimontis and opallios or a different bintan-form.
    Where did your friend got it from? Private breeder or commercial trade? For trade, rubrimontis and opallios are very unlikely, but a different bintan-like form from Sumatra very possibly indeed. Could you get some more photos?

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, thank You for quick reply. I know that one picture it’s not enough especially were fish is not in breeding mode. But this is only I have. My friend have them from some German shop ( I’m waiting for this shop name) and we allready sent ask about orgin of this fish – we hope they will answer soon 🙂 I have only one more picture with female. I will try to get some more photos. Greetings!

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, I know name of that shop : Aquarium Glaser…

CAUVET Christian
    Participant

My fish ( blue line ?) comes from “Kolle Zoo” in Germany, bought at the end of september 2011

Peter Finke
    Participant

Dear Omaha and dear Martin, wie can take this in one reply.
    Glaser is the leading wholeseller of aquarium fish in whole Europe and One of the biggest in the world. Nearly all Parosphromenus that appear in shops in Europe are distributed by Glaser. I know the relevant people personally. Koelle is delivered by Glaser, too.
    The second picture, Martin, does not show a female but a male. Females have Never such small iridiscent bands around their unpaired fins. This picture really looks like Sentang again. But I am not sure. It maybe an aff. bintan of a different location on Sumatra.
    Probably the seller will not reply, they cannot say other things than Glaser. And wie know the latest sources of Glaser-fish. It’s Sumatra and nothing else. Only the exact place can vary.
    If you want to receive really different species, you Must come to Germany and visit a Good breeder or a meeting of the EAC or IGL. Next year at our first international meeting of the Paro-Project in Hamburg there will be at least eight or ten species present for distribution.
    Another possibility is to name a German address and a breeder will send the fish there. After that they Must be fetched there. I would be delighted to help you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.