The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Tchech air filter with air pump-noises,vibrations

Home Forums Global Species Tchech air filter with air pump-noises,vibrations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hello!
    Now I have another question: I am preparing my first paro tank.
    Its a 54l tank, with HMF (Hamburg math filter, because I like the tanks with are complete inside …

But I found again the problem with inside filtration:
    The noise and the vibrations …

I have threw down my air pump so that it works 2,5 times the water of the tank through the math.(Schaumstoff).

But still the noise and vibrations ist rather strong – I took a tchech air mounter becouse one say these kind is not so noisy – now I have also many air bubbles on the water …

What shall I do? I think the noise is also in the water, not only to be heard when I put my ear at the tank …

best regards,
    Dorothee

Michael Kotzulla
    Participant

Hi Dorothee.

When I prepared my first three tanks for Betta and (later) Paros (only 10 litres each due to lack of space in our flat) some months ago, I had to make the following decision: noisy + energy consuming air filter/internal filter – or no filtration at all.

I decided to try the latter way and after about six months now with successfully breeding B. tussyae and P. nagyi I can say that operating even smallest tanks without filtration can work really fine – as long as you

• do very regular water changes
    • – In the very beginning I changed about 10 per cent in each of the three small tanks per day. But as soon as the Betta built there first bubble nests I reduced this to 25-30 per cent once or twice a week. And before a longer time of absence I replace 50-75 per cent with fresh r/o water.

• keep the number of (adult) fish per tank very low
    • – For me, 1.1 adults plus small offspring seems okay.

• try to feed living food only, as this wont decay straight away
    • – I guess, I feed close to 95 per cent living food – plus frozen rotatoria and black mosquito larvae when necessary.

I don’t know whether this could be an approach for you, too. But with a 54 litre tank at hand you could give it a try. 🙂

Kind regards,
    Michael

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hello, Dorothee,

I can only agree with Michael.

I have not one single tank which has more technical equipment than lighting. I have tank volumes of 12 liter, 16 liter, 25 and 27 liter, 54 liter and 120 liter – and none with filters, pumps, heating …………….
    As Michael says – it’s only a question of water changes (I change about 25 to 30% each week; more disciplined in the smaller tanks than in the bigger ones) and feeding.
    I only feed live food – even to the fish which would also take dried food – as most of my fish only consume live food it makes no difference to me.
    And I can only recommend to put some shrimp into each tank …….. the best cleaning team I’ve ever seen. Caridina simoni lives and reproduces even in the kind of water that paros prefer.

Hallo!
    I’m a bit afraid
    of old water tanks…
    Shrimps live in all my tanks, the simonis are a good tip because of the very special water!

Are there any further experiences concerning the technic-noises?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”7 Zwerge” post=3051]Hallo!
    I’m a bit afraid
    of old water tanks…
    [/quote]

Just to avoid misunderstandings – what Michael and me are talking about are no “old water tanks”! The main difference is essential: the regular water changes! In an “Altwasserbecken” (= German – I don’t know if there’s an English word for it – translated literally it’s “old water tank”) you don’t make any water changes, just fill up the evaporated water from time to time. A tank running without filter but with consequent and regular water changes can never be called “Altwasserbecken”!

Sorry, I used the wrong term, perhaps I feel every water beefing old when it does not move 2 or 3
    times per hour through filtration 😉

But I have no experience with non filtration.

I do the water changes with my filtrations exactly the way you describe without filtration ….

Being old I wanted to write, not beefing old …

Bill Little
    Participant

“Altwasserbecken” – The English word you are looking for is perhaps “aged” ???

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”Little” post=3055]”Altwasserbecken” – The English word you are looking for is perhaps “aged” ???[/quote]

Hello, Bill,

yes, “aged” is definitely better than “old” – but I am looking for a translation of the whole word “Altwasserbecken”. It means a tank with aged water which is never changed, but only filled up again. Is there a phrase for it in English?

Bill Little
    Participant

Helene —
    No we have no such term for that. Perhaps that’s because we never have hobbyist that would have tanks in those conditions 😉

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”Little” post=3057]Helene —
    No we have no such term for that. Perhaps that’s because we never have hobbyist that would have tanks in those conditions ;)[/quote]

👿
    (But – as far as I have heard – it can work very well)

By the way – you may still call me Stefanie ….. 😉

bartian
    Participant

It actually works very well, especially when sensitive fish are involved. I prefer keeping my harder-to-keep fish in this kind of tanks.

Hello you all,

And whats the “good” with both filterless methods? Just saving energie and costs for buying machines? Except the noise, naturally …

Peter Finke writes in his new books he would recommend filterless tanks just for Profis … And they could do their work good for one year or so (page 99). And then? A new tank?
    My tanks use to work for years!

And why air pumps are such a conventional used method and no one who uses them seems to care what the fish think about?
    I think tomorrow I will use my Schego optimal air pump when I will have a bath an try to hear it under water …. ;-).

Perhaps it’s just a problem to have too much time to prepare a new tank, then you can have “silly” thoughts about if everything is right …..

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

[quote=”7 Zwerge” post=3060]
    And whats the “good” with both filterless methods? Just saving energie and costs for buying machines? [/quote]

Hi, Dorothee,

“just saving energy” is no “just” to me. It’s the small things that matter ………. and having about 12 almost technique-free tanks means having saved 12 filters and heaters – and their energy consumption. Imagine how many aquariums we have worldwide – their energy consumption definitely is not “just” ……….. Of course you can not have every kind of tank (and fish) without any technique. For me it’s the decision then to have no such tanks and no such fish ……… I do not like keeping any living creature (be it plant or animal) if it can only be managed with great technical effort. Seems somehow counterproductive and inconsistent to me – wasting energy (and thus – natural ressources) to save plants/animals which lose their natural environment by human exploiting of natural ressources …..

Hi Stefanie,

of course you are right!
    But I find other ways to save energy and I get my energy from Energiewerke Schönau, who only sell energy from nenewably sources (means they spend the money they earn in building renewable sources of energy),and it costs therefore a little bit more.

I am just afraid that my fish would suffer if I don´t give them a filtration … 😉
    And I thought I would´nt be able to have healthy paros if I would give them only the 20 degrees C we have in our flat.

And I´m really interested if there is anyone who has thought about the problem that the HMF Filter, which also save energy, are so loud ..
    In the www you find only people who want silence for themselfes – they seem to have no thoughts about the feeling of the fishes with that…

Perhaps someone has made a noise and vibration measuring in the water and thought about how fishes sensor it????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.