The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Technique and utilities

Home Forums Global Methods Technique and utilities

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Wilden
    Keymaster

Hello,
    Parosphromenus live in floating and tropic water.

Do you use any machines to create this?

I normally don´t use anything exept to light. Becouse I wnt to safe energy and think that the fishes will survive without it.

But do they have a better life?

In my oppinion a water circulation is good but heavy to create, so I will try it now in a 160l tank an tell you whether the fishes change their behavior.

Bennie

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I am thinking the same, – I also dont use any tecnik but sometimes wonder if it would be better.
    And when I look at Lisbets tanks in the video in the thread here https://parosphromenus-project.org/en/forum/9-Trade/11-P-ornaticauda-in-German-trade.html then it seems to me that the paros actually look more happy.
    But I wonder about breeding and developing of eggs.

But I think it would also be very interesting to hear what others have tried.

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

I generally use small tanks with just a minimum amount of aeration and no filtration or just a simple sponge filter. No substrates some floating java fern and moss along with coconut caves or film canisters and subdued lighting.

I too have admired Lisbeths video as well as other photos I have seen of members tanks. Of course if we are succesful and our fish healthy and happy there is no wrong way of keeping them. I always think if something works well don’t change it.. But by looking at the evidence I am sure that there are differences in the way we keep Paros in the UK (or is this just my imagination.) so I am thinking should I change my fish keeping strategy .

Peter Finke
    Participant

I generally use very small 12-liter-tanks and no aeration and no filters. So, there is still-water in my tanks. My fish are mostly healthy and spawn, but I know – of course – that they come from small rivers with floating waters. Only exceptionally, in nature one finds some in still water bodies. But I hate the noise of bubble filters and try to make things as easy as possible. All rotary pumps that I know of are too big for my small tanks. Therefore I have a problem.
    I think it certainly would be better to have the water slowly moving, but I do not know how to achieve that. If there would exist very small rotary pumps, at best even battery-driven in order to avoid the necessity of electric cables, that would be my choice. Is there somebody who knows something like that?
    As long as I do not know a solution that fits my conditions, my fish have to be satisfied with that still-water tanks. It seems to work rather well. But I feel a bit unwell by it, I admit …

Lisbeth
    Participant

I’m probably the only one of my Norwegian paro-friends who use circulation. But I think it will be so dead and stagnant without? I keep several P. Sintang / sentang in 63L, use the smallest power head, at low strength. This pump runs a home-HMF corner filter. I may be a bit concerned that it should be, and look clean and nice. Also I think it is easy to cover with film on the surface if there is no movement? Attaching a video that shows how weak flow I have there:

P. ornaticauda I hold in my paludarium. Here I have the smallest EHEIM aqua ball in the back of the tank. Bottom area is 45×45 cm, so it’s great distance from the small waterfall to the other side of the tank for example. Stagnant water in large parts of the tub.

But in my 450 liters tank, where I keep a group of Sphaerichthys osphromenoides and selatanensis, it is quite strong water currents. But the tank is long, 150 cm, making one part pretty easy/slow moving. What is strange is that they more often choose to swim in that part of the aquarium where there is strong current (and most light ..)

I’ve had a bit guilty for not keeping these guramies in more stagnant water (and darker water), but now I have had Sphaerichthys for about 3 years in this way, and they are very strong and healthy, and playing regularly . Seems like they enjoy it very much. But it is true what Helen says. That one does not know how the eggs and fry will be affected.
    I have not tried to breed any fish yet, it remains to try.

Slightly different age, a bit variable size on them
    (I am very bad at writing English, have therefore used google transform for writing assistance. Hope it’s understandable)

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hi Lisbet.
    Thank you for the beautiful video’es.
    I edited in your post so that the videoes showed properly up.
    (You actually just have to insert the url, not the embedded code)

Lisbeth
    Participant

[quote=”parosphr” post=93].[/quote]

This does not lead to any site?

Edit: Oh, I se now that you try to make a direkt show of my videos. Thankyou! I saw that it didnt show correct, but i hoped people would klick on the blue lines and se the videos anyway 🙂

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Yes, I thought it was much nicer to have them directly show. I will make some guideline to how you upload video’es, it was a bit difficult, but in fact quite easy – when I found out

I really find your way of having a little circulation in the tank interesting, and as I said, – your fish look really happy, and much more lively in a way. I quess its possible to arrange a tank, so that you have circulation, but still areas with very low or no circulation, – which may make it possible for breeding as well.

I have a tank with 6 paroes that I bought not long ago. I have had them in a 30 liter tank with no circulatio, and very low light. I did not see them often. Then one week ago I noticed they had odinium. So in order to treat this I gave some medication, but I also put in a heater and in order to see if they got better I put on stronger light.
    Luckily they have totally recovered, – and maybe thats why they are more happy now, – but certainly the higher temperature and the stronger light does not make them hide more, – on the contrary, – they come to the front a lot more now.

I am really thinking seriously about changing my usual way of ‘small, dark, non circulation’ tanks, – so all inspiration is welcome.

Benjamin Wilden
    Keymaster

Wow, there is a nice expression how circulated tanks can be.

As I already wrote I am also trying a little pump. The circulation is very soft, becouse I used the smallest one I can find (actually for nano or shrimp tanks) and lead it into swimming plants. So there is a circulated part and a still standing one.

The Parosphromenus seem to be in both parts but the linkei is more there than the sumatranus, wether they swim sometimes still standing in the foat.

Peter Finke
    Participant

That’s all very nice and fine, flowing water, just as in the native streams and peat bogs of our Parosphromenus fish.

But what is with the very young fry? I should ask especially Lisbeth, but the others too. Of course you can arrange a water movement, more or less, but isn’t it mainly thought from the perspective of the adult fish? They may breed very well, but do the young survive? In my opinion this will only work with bubble filters.

In my small tanks it’s impossible to copy your technical arrangements. But sometimes I have 30 or even 50 young growing up there.

Lisbeth, Helene, Bennie: If your fish “look so happy” with all that, how do you recognize that? I cannot imagine by the number of the young…

Lisbeth
    Participant

As I write above, I have not tried to breed the fish yet. And I agree with Helen that also had questions about the circulation and fry.

I’ve certainly not tried to claim anything other than that my fish (adults) look strong and healthy, although they are not kept in stagnant water ..

Lisbeth
    Participant

[quote=”Peter Finke” post=100]But what is with the very young fry? I should ask especially Lisbeth, [/quote]

In my 63L tank with 8x Parosphromenus spec. Sintang i now see som fry. One is 2 cm, another is smaller. I dont know how many there is, the tank is very full of cattapa leaves and plants so the fry hide very well. But it sems like som fry survive with the little flow.

Lisbeth
    Participant

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

🙂 isnt it so nice when you spot these little fine fry of parosphromenus, – they are so cute 🙂 …
    I think its still really interesting, and congratulate you with achieving what is not so easy, to have fry of parosphromenus, and this still makes me consider rearranging some of my tanks and providing a little more flow and filtration.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.