The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

The first comprehensive book ever on Paros comes!

Home Forums Global Undetermined The first comprehensive book ever on Paros comes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

During the last years monographs for many groups of aquarium fish have been published. But not for one group which contains only small, colourful, rare and threatened fish which are highly looked for by aquarists: the “Licorice Gouramies” of the genus Parosphromenus. Now Peter Finke and Martin Hallmann – two of the best experts on these fish – have filled that gap. Their comprehensive book (in German language) “Prachtguramis” with the subtitle “Juwelen des Urwalds in der Natur und im Aquarium” (Juwels of the Rainforest in Nature and in the Aquarium”) will be published on October 1st at Aqualog-Animalbook-GmbH as publisher. The price will be 29,80 Euros.

The 200 pages are densely printed and filled with hundreds of photos of the best photographers (including the authors, and Michael Lo, Olivier Perrin, Günter Kopic, Horst Linke, Norbert Neugebauer and others) with informations on all aspects: beginning with the description of the “peat-swamps” in south-east Asia, their destruction, the distribution and habitats of those fish, the difficulties of finding them, the history of their detection, the detailed description of the different species and varieties, morphological and genetical problems, their detailed needs in the aquarium, their behaviour, their colour changes and communication, their breeding and raising, the role of the Parosphromenus-project as an international network for their sustainment and distribution and many additional informations.

For these fish, Germany is the world center since the main research on their aquaristic needs was carried out there some decades ago. But to get this book printed was very difficult indeed since many publishers feared that they could sell only 500 or 1000 copies. Normally, books on popular aquarium fish sell for tens of thousands. Therefore, at present it is not yet sure that there will ever be a translation into another language. There are some hundreds of enthusiastic friends of licorice gouramies spread in the whole world, but a book publisher is not impressed by that number. The authors are convinced that by seeing those wonderful illustrations and reading the densely packed informations the book would be bought by many more people who never cared for them before, but the printers in Britain and America are reluctant to try. Therefore, we recommend to order a copy of the German book nevertheless, since it could be sold out at the end of the year.

There is a link http://www.parobuch.de leading to a blog where you can have a look into some chapters and order the book. The front cover could be seen on the starting page of this Parosphromenus-project website. If you want to order the book from outside Germany, ask at info@parobuch.de for the costs of shipment. They are different.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

🙂 Just want to say that I have just recieved the new book by Peter Finke and Martin Hallmann and I have to say I am very very impressed. It is a wonderful book and I am going to work my way though every german word of it :), though this may take a while. But I am sure there is a lot of information and knowledge to be gained from it.
    Thank you very much, indeed for making this book. I hope many people will buy it and enjoy the work.

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

I would very much like to join in Helenes laudation ……………. but I can’t!
    I will only get the book as a birthday present in the first days of November…………….. But it is already here, lying on the table in it’s transparent shrink-wrapping …………. Can you imagine this pain?????? (How cruel a husband can be ….)

Stefaan
    Participant

🙂 I can imagine, Stefanie. I’ve received the book as well but am moving into a new house this month, so there’s no time to have a look at it. I’m glad that I’m not the only one who has to patience untill November! My wife appreciates my sacrifice 😛

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

My birthday dating about 2 weeks back, I had enough time to look through this eagerly awaited present thoroughly and to even read most of it by now.

What shall I say? It exceeds all my expectations.

To be honest – when I first heard about the book, I didnt’t expect much news – having all the information on keeping and breeding and species/ forms here at this website and on the IGL-homepage and the corresponding forums. Most of this information comes from the authors of the book – Peter Finke and Martin Hallmann. So I expected a comprehension of all information already given.
    I would never have expected to learn so much new!

The book not only contains chapters on keeping, breeding, behaviour, species and forms, but discusses critical aspects of keeping paros, gives valuable information about habitats (and habitat destruction), critically comments environmental degradation (and our share of it!).
    And, overall, it is nicely bound, good paper quality, wonderful photos!

So if anyone thinks (like I thought) this book is maybe nice, but redundant – No! It is very nice, indeed – and it is essential to have it!

A huge thank-you to the authors!

Roger
    Participant

I just received my copy I ordered on Amazon from a dealer in Germany. It is a wonderful hard-bound book with great pictures! My German is so-so, but with a dictionary and some time, I have been able to read some of the more interesting sections on Parosphromenus husbandry, and I can say that the information is indeed valuable. I’m already using the knowledge to design my next Paro-Anlage 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.