The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

The new guy, looking for P. ornaticauda group

Home Forums European Trade The new guy, looking for P. ornaticauda group

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hmm … well, I didnt excatly mean that. I appreciate you have done a lot of preparation, and are doing great research.
    But it is a large tank for paros, – it really is. It may be fine, but breeding will be difficult, I really think so.
    If they cannot go into the big tank, will you then not think about paros then ?

Benjamin de Rooij
    Participant

Be aware, long text 😉 (I’m a writer in my spare time, sorry…)

No, I will keep thinking about Paro’s, ever I first read about the species I was thinking of a way to keep them and breed them.
    Besides the big tank I already had some tentative plans to make a little breeding station, I have a little corner in our bedroom where I spend time with my other hobby (electronics), which will be redone in a few months. I was thinking of putting up a rack where I can place a few small tanks to breed some fish and most probably this will be 2 or 3 different species of Paro’s. But before that can happen I want to finish the big tank first.
    The tank was built with Paro’s as the most important inhabitant, and mainly because of Paro’s I went with the Borneo biotope but if everybody here advises against keeping them there I will probably try to find a different fish that would ‘work’ in there and push out the Paro plans for another 6 to 12 months.
    It would be a shame, but I don’t want to do damage to the hard work of the people who are breeding these fish so they can be preserved.

It certainly isn’t the case that I don’t want Paro’s if they can’t be in the big tank, but they are a big part of the plan for this project. I didn’t get the feeling from the literature about Paro’s I found that they where so fragile that competition from small barb sorts for example would be an issue.
    I adjusted my plans after Bernd’s advice to not combine them, for example, with Betta albimarginata (which already proved to be even more difficult to find than the Paro’s, even our local fish store has some Paro’s at the moment, can’t tell you which species, as they are labelled Deissneri).

For me, right now it is like this:
    If you advise against holding Paro’s in the big tank, I will probably reconsider about that. You people are the experts, if you say it can’t/shouldn’t be done, I will have to respect that.
    If you say it can be done but might not be the best choice, I think I will try it and see if I can have some success. I have already thought of systems to bring the food close to where they stay in the tank (from what I’ve seen and read Paro’s usually find a corner in some bigger tanks and remain there, so something can be made) and try to keep a close eye on the caves for any spawning activity.

Again, I don’t want to negate the hard work that is being done in breeding these fish by buying 3 pairs only for them to die off because I did not treat them in the way it should be done.

Benjamin de Rooij
    Participant

Oh, and placing a small tank on top of the big one: I don’t think my lids will hold that 😉 I made a custom cover for the tank as it is quite old and the original tube lighting system was rusted. I put up a custom build (by me) LED system above the tank that gives me yellowish light and can dim automatically.
    Plus, a third tank in the living room would not be appreciated by my wife, I think. If I do that, it will be in the bedroom.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Good, I am glad to hear that we are not entirely disencouraging you 🙂
    For me the way it could be done which I would have no hesitation about would have been if for example you had lived near me and you could have had some of the 100 linkei which I have.
    1. Linkei is rather big and more robust of all paros
    2. Linkei is a good fish to learn about paros for this reason. Paros are not difficult once you get to know it, they really are not, – but when you first start, they are to some extend. It is always not a bad idea to start with linkei and learn from these
    3. Linkei are beautiful, really beautiful
    4. We have / I have and many others do, many linkei, they breed more easily than other species. It is not a species which will be in danger of dissappering suddenly. Many members of the project are breeding these, I am also still to some extend.
    5. I am unable to have anyone take my linkei, I simply have too many. I am actually these days thinking that I will probably set up a larger tank for the linkei, – probably I would go with 80 or 100 liter, but I cannot keep having this many fish in small tanks. So it would be a win-win situation
    6. You could start with a rather large group. I have just learned from our Hamburg meeting, that paros in nature lives in flocks, small perhaps, but they do thrive in groups, – but what is a group.? For a large tank like that, in my opinion you should have at least 20 or more.
    In my 60 liter, which I refurnished yesterday I had to put in 26 linkei,- and then I stopped and thought, no thats enough. I had to for space reasons.
    7. If you had any chance of transporting fish from Copenhagen, you would be most welcome.

That said, – I know its probably not possible, but it was also just to let you know that I would not at all think it is impossible.
    A 240 liter beautifully decorated and planned tank, with a large group of p. linkei could work well.
    Helene

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Well, it was just meant as a little bit of a joke, – or a emergency solution. But as you can see, I have done this 🙂
    By the way, this is my livingroom, and I also live with someone

Benjamin de Rooij
    Participant

Very beautiful, something I would never be able to do.

I will think about how to approach this and then get back.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.