The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

The shrimp question

Home Forums Global Undetermined The shrimp question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tom Black
    Participant

[quote=”7 Zwerge” post=3143]Hello you all!
    Now I have another question:

I´ve got my simoni simoni shrimps some time ago.
    They seem to do well.

Before I got the simoni, my friend “invaded” some red fire shrimps without much color, small and bigger ones, about 10 or 11, we think, in the dark water tank …

I cought most of them out of the tank before I set the simoni into the water ….
    But I guess there still are left two or three or four, specially the smaller not coloured ones ;-( ….
    Do you think they will disturb the simonis breeding with their pheromones?

They won’t breed across the species the cross breed list say …[/quote]

They should be fine. I have simoni happily breeding in a tank with Neocaridina heteropoda (of which ‘red fire’ are a morph).

Thank you!
    Then I will relax! 😉

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

I will next year be September / October in Borneo and bring some shrimp from Paro-habitats and share.

Michael Kotzulla
    Participant

Great idea, Bernd.
    I would be interested to get some from you then, too.

Michael

PS: The 2.2 P. filamentosus I got from Stephan do really fine. Thanks to the black mosquite larvae available from my garden, I’m confident to have some offspring soon.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Well then you can give it a try soon with other types, I should soon follow suit ornaticauda I also think of you. The further spread, the more reliable inventory
    Greetings Bernd

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Bernd, please think of me, too – in both cases: shrimp and fish! (Sounds like a menu 😉 )

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

Ok, I’ll send you an email when it is so far

Hallo Stefanie!
    How are your caridina simoni now?
    I hoped that mine would become numerous during the last about 8 weeks! But I just see very seldom one of them by now.
    I´ve already been thinking about to make for them a separate tank to breed and than to bring them in the Paro and the Spaerichtys tank …

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hello, Dorothee,

sorry for the late answer (summer is no forum season for me – the garden claims its rights).

That’s a good question. How are my simoni shrimp now?

They are not “exploding” in reproduction – that’s the same as you observe. But they are doing well, as far as I can see. There are times when I think their number declines. But then again I see many young half grown ones. I don’t know if they really have ups and downs in their population, but I make fluctuating observations…..

Only yesterday I observed some younger ones which measured about 1 cm in my quindecim tank – and some rather big ones, if not to say giants :huh:

My conclusion: They are doing well, but don’t show enormous reproduction rates (maybe they do, but the newly hatched shrimp are eaten by the paros? A welcome side effect).
    They obviously moult successfully despite of the lack of water hardness. Maybe they benefit from the fact that the live food I fetch from my garden pond contains many crustacea like daphnia – providing them with all they need to build up their own shells.
    One thing is more than obvious and confirms me to go on with keeping Caridina simoni in my paro tanks: The cleaning effect! You can clearly see which tanks contain shrimp and which don’t. This effect – the eradication of organic waste and thus keeping the organic load of the water down – is something I wouldn’t like to go without anymore.

Hallo Stefanie, nice to hear from you! 🙂
    Yes, I think the same as you, I’ve in all my tanks shrimps, they clean, they give some live food.

In my Paro tank there were many seaweed (Algen) when I came back from holidays and I found two dead shrimps floated in the front of the tank.. Many of my swimming plants had died, perhaps because I unfortunately left the top on the tank…. Perhaps the shrimps didn’t like the rotten mud of the plants?

Or they weren’t bred in black water but in normal tap water….

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I have my C. simoni for about 3 days only, but have transfered them from tap water dropping the water from the paro tank. This way you can transfer them in to very different water in about 24 hours. If they were ok with the water before, there would be no mortality of multiple shrimps at once becouse of water parameters. I had couple different shrimp species over time and I can confirm that shrimps are even more sensitive to environmental stress than the fish. I would assume if your fish were ok after decomposition of the plants in the tank and shrimps died, it could very well be because of very low oxygen content as decomposition of bigger ammount of plants could have consumed most of the oxygen in the tank for some time. In such a case paros would survive as they are able to use their labyrinth. Seems like the most probable option to me.

Hallo Deepin peat,

of course I did transfer my shrimps in the same way as you describe.
    What about the oxygen – I have a tchech air lift (don’t know if thats the right word in english …) that brings a lot of air bubbles in the tank. and I have soft water movement even in front of the tank. Not to much for the shrimps, but a bit to give the water a little bit movement and transfers the oxygen…

The Paros were not in the tank during our absence, I´ve got them on the return on train to home …
    Of course I took out the decomposited plants and made water change every second day .
    But perhaps I´ve had a too small amount of shrimps – just 15 animals…
    We have changed before we left most of the water and took out plants and decoration to find the last dragonfly larves, and we found two of them, and abaut 15 – 20 shrimps. Perhaps they are still all at the other side of the tank cleaning the foam mat?

I could only find out, if I would make stocktaking, but I don´t want to disturb my four Paros …

Another question to all who have already Caridina in your Paro tanks: your Paros manage to have offspring I suppose?
    Because it’s perhaps possible that the Caridina like fish egg?

Stefanie Rick
    Participant

Hm – the Caridina indeed like fish eggs ……………. But I have offspring, at least in my quindecim tank. I now decided to put C. simoni in each paro tank, because of the big advance of keeping the tank clean. Let’s wait and see.
    By the way – I have already seen my nagyi male chasing away shrimp which come too close to the cave. We should bear in mind that guarding the cave is no self purpose ………..
    But I removed all other inhabitants (snails, shrimp) of their tank some time ago because I wanted to be sure why they don’t have offspring …. Now that it’s clear that the nagyi parents themselves are the threat for their fry, I will put in shrimp again.

O .k. That sounds reasonable!

And if I remember right, in their homelands Paros live together with many shrimps, young shrimps seem to be their main food and shrimps are not the reason for them to die out!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.