The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

The shrimp question

Home Forums Global Undetermined The shrimp question

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Rod Porteous
    Participant

I must admit I never saw the appeal of keeping shrimp until you appreciate how much difference they can make in keeping an aquarium clean. I also would not be without them now. I only keep ordinary cherry shrimps though, and they are breeding and growing happily at pH 6 100-150 TDS.

Yes, so are my Red Fire in the other tanks.
    But Paro water is too strong for them, I guess …

Hello!
    Now I have got some more Caridina simoni (20 animals), they are still being acclimated to the Paro tank water, I hope they will manage well! Perhaps my 15 simoni I got before aren´t not so reduced now, I´ve seen one or another from time to time.
    Perhaps the shrimps also need some food to have offspring …

I will see.
    Perhaps its a problem, that the shrimp breeders have them in normal tap water. The ones I got today had a conductivity of about 900 mS. And my Paro water has 38 mS …

If I would be more enthusiastic with far journeys, I´d rather bring some shrimp with me home from the home habitats of the Paros …
    But as I´m not – I have to try with the shrimps from breeders here … :unsure:

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

I dont think they would need special food to have offspring. They are very well equipped to get all they need from bacterial film in the tank, algae and every other piece of organic matter. Its their natural diet and they dont get anything else in their natural environment. From the information available her on the site it seems that shrimps are the the key part of the foodchain that makes nutrient available for higher standing organisms. Also for C. simoni soft and acidic water should be better than tap water especially when its conductivity is 900 μS. Yes it may be to soft or/and to acidic, but still there may be other factors that block their reproduction. For example fotoperiod could play a role and as you cant see your shrimps much, you cant be sure that young shrimps just do not get consumed by paros before they grow up. Even getting 15 animals to start with, there is also a slight chance you did not get one of the genders. Plus even water quality could be a problem, shrimps are sometimes more sensitive than fish to NO3 levels for example. Temperature comes to mind too. Not putting the new shrimps to paro tanks and trying if you are able to breed them under less extreme conditions could help to learn more about what parameteres are limiting with your particular aquarium shrimp population. Most of the time getting first generation that survived under your conditions and reproducing these from there on will give best results.

Bernd Bussler
    Participant

True, shrimp are safe in the biotopes, the main source of food.
    Everywhere I’ve caught fish in Malaysia or India, there were also lots of shrimp.
    Just the Paros surely among the smaller members of the fauna will be dependent as feed of small shrimp. Since Paros mostly live in moving water there is probably hardly Daphnia could eat them.

Hallo!
    Now I´m accustoming my simoni drop by drop since 24 h. They came with conductivity of 900 mS and we have now 71 mS. The Paro tank has 42 mS at the moment …

This time I will put my new 20 simoni in the Paro tank, next time, if it didn’t work – I will make a special simoni tank to breed them — but at the moment, my four tanks seem to be enough for my small room. I would have to empty a place near my writing table to have a place for a fifth tank … :S

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Well you can clearly see which tank is housing shrimps. I dont know who of the shrimp people invented that idea that shrimps consume their exuviae. What I have been doing for last couple days is finding these all over the tank 😀 it seems like they never even touch them and it feels like all the ten shrimps in the tank are moulting like very other day. I’m starting to worry abou some shrimpzilla that could show up in couple weeks. Def it seems that oak and beech leaves contain enough nutrients for them to grow. The tank does not seem much cleaner but thats prolly just not enough shrimps. They seem to be very good in self defence as today I cought a group of 6 paros encircling a shrimp and trying to at least bite of a leg but shrimp managed to escape without much problems. Its amazing how fast they swim when they need. My shrimps are def to young to cary any eggs yet, so paros were interested in shrimp itself for sure. Thats not the first time I saw them trying to hunt shrimps even though they def do not suffer of any hunger. It seems like when I started to feed with Chaoborus larvae (not sure how they are called in English, glass worm?)that are about 1 cm long paros have more confidence to attack the shrimps. They tried couple times after the shrimps were released to the tank and but have stopped very quickly but now they are attacking them again. I always saw a single fish hunting a shrimp, but today was the first time I observed such a wolf strategy.

Hallo Deepin peat,

I see already that I have more shrimps now in the tank, the seaweed is almost eaten from the root! 😉 …
    By the way, if I see excuvie, I take them out 😉 but I never had problems with that.

And my god – you have Battle-Paros 😉 (perhaps some youngsters?) 😉

In my tanks with Spaerichtys I can see that they ignore the shrimps (but not the fine shrimp pearls if they can get it…… 😉
    My Paros seem to ignore them till now too 😉

Some time gone now again …

The shrimps in my Paro tank had been eaten by my last dragonfly larve, I guess, just one male of the simoni left.

I got other ones and put them in my big tank (pH about 6,5-6,7 and conductivity between 100 and 140 uS, I have still too much carbonat in the ground, but still no real black water fish in it) and in a new 36l Tank (pH 4,5, conductivity 30-40 uS).

In the “normal”tank they live, in the black water tank I don’t see much any more…
    Perhaps two or three will be around there still.

So I think I will cancel the shrimps project at the moment, it’s the same problem with fish or plants from the trade.
    There should be some people who bring them from the Paro habitats and some people must breed them, if we would like to give our Paros Shrimp babies to eat and Shrimps to clean the tank…

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.