The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Treating ich (Ichthyophthirius) white spot decease

Home Forums Global Undetermined Treating ich (Ichthyophthirius) white spot decease

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    helene schoubye
    Keymaster

hi Carole.

Yes I understand about the thread, I was just thinking that its unlikely that you will get an answer regarding the medicine 🙂

You can also just leave it here, as long as you maybe describe things a bit more –
    its not important if you do or not, as long as we get some reactions, – thats what is important 🙂

Carole
    Participant

In my experience ich can live in a tank, it could have come in with the shrimp as a hitchiker for example. It does not really want to kill the fish, it needs them. But if something is not making the fish happy, and it gets stressed, that’s when they begin to attack. They will often jump onto, then off a fish. There are also different stages to their life cycle, and I may need to leave that tank fishless for awhile. I purchased the gouramis, and the shop was keeping them mixed with other types of fish, and in tapwater. I have been slowly adding RO water to gradually reduce the PH.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

As far as I know shrimps cannot carry ick.
    Yes, ick has different stages, – but they dont jump onto a fish – they develop on the fish, then die off and fall to the ground, but new organisms develop.
    Still, I am not an expert on ick, – but I would really recommend that you wait before you medicate, – and describe again, – do you see many small spots ?
    Ick – as far as I know – resembles odinium in the way that it is not one or two spots, its all over the fish.
    Are you experienced with illnesses and medicating aquariums ?

I am not doubting you, I know from myself, that I can get really nervous and think my fish are sick, and then jump too soon to decisions which arent right. So I am just curious and really would like to help.
    Paros are not fish that easyly come down with ick really.

Vlad
    Participant

Hard to tell did it help and was it ich in my case but the treatment, as I described, did not harm my paros.
    I did continued the full course until the dots disappeared.
    With some experience now I agree with helen on subject of observation of behaviour is as important as physical signs.
    On other side paros seem to be much more resilient than my chocolate gouramis.

I think any medication should be used as a last resort and very cautiously. Just because mine seemingly were fine is in no way an encouragement to follow.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Anyway, … I can see that Dezz is online, perhaps you could tell us how it all went with your fish .. 🙂 would be really good to have an update even its quite a while now.
    And your experience would maybe be a great help here.

🙂 you beat me there, Dezz .. thanks for replying

Carole
    Participant

Yes, I have been keeping fish 20+ years. I am an old woman, don’t let the cute avatar fool you. :silly: These are however my first parosphromenus. I took some pics, uploading now. Let’s take a look. Maybe you can help with an ID on them as well?

Carole
    Participant

Hi Dezz, thanks for replying!

Carole
    Participant

Only two pics came out really. This is the larger of the two fish, and the other one does not show as many spots.
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/waterfaller1/media/fish/001-3.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/waterfaller1/fish/001-3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/waterfaller1/media/fish/007.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/waterfaller1/fish/007.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Carole
    Participant

Harveyi perhaps?

Vlad
    Participant

I’ll let someone more knowledgeable to diagnose.

If you decide on medicating don’t settle with half measures. Temps. doses all as on lable.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Okay, – thats good to hear, Carole, that you have 20 years experience, – then you are very experienced indeed 🙂 .. more than me. I might have looked a bit on the avatar 🙂

I can see what you mean, – they do seem to have something, I can see the spots. If they are ick I would not be sure really. But there is something. Also the tail fin on one of them is looking a bit affected or a bit as if it is falling together (my danish 🙁 ..hmm)

I dont think they look harveyi, but perhaps blue line or close to that. You really need to see a full tail fin to determine that well.

I can understand you would like to act on these spots, – I am not sure I can advice you though, – but lets hope someone here has an advice.
    It could be a reaction to the changing of ph, if they have been used to other for a longer time.
    Also theres the decoration – makes me wonder a bit – it looks like theres not so much in terms of leaves etc. – is the water soft ? It looks to me like a reaction in terms of ‘not thriving’ and being as you said earlier ‘weakened’ a bit by that. And then more prone to kind of ‘anything’.

I have had good results with paros that reacted to settling down in my tanks with raising temperatures for a period, to around 26-27. Normally i have them cooler but it certainly does not harm them.

Carole
    Participant

Yes, I am slowly adding leaves, but there is another issue. I had only old almond leaves. I have just received a new fresh batch of organic ones yesterday. It warns against adding too many on the package, and gives a specific amount. I have not added any of the fresh ones yet. I might have some alder cones, but again they are old. I was thinking of buying new ones also. I am not familiar enough to know what other leaves might be ok to use? I do have live oaks in my yard. I do also agree she looks to be clamping her tail. I am keeping the temp at 78F, I think that is 26 to you?

Carole
    Participant

What is blue line, deissneri? I was going by the speckled throat. So confusing..haha!

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

sorry I meant this one https://www.parosphromenus-project.org/en/sentang.html

Oak leaves are fine, but not too many at the time. And its also true for the almond. If old they may not give off so much, but still add some of the valuable humin. But definitely go slow with those.
    Its just that your tank looks like it has some ‘stony’ things 🙂 .. and I also wonder about the gravel, what is it ?

Sometimes I think that even in soft water, if you have some stones or gravel it will make whatever you do concerning ph very unstable, because the stones might draw the ph up again immidiately after you have lowered it, – and this will give a very unstable ph situation.

So … are you using soft water? and how are you lowering the ph ?

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

About id’ing … as I said, you really need to see the colours in full show to determine.
    And it also is a help to know where you bought them, and at what time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.