The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Treating ich (Ichthyophthirius) white spot decease

Home Forums Global Undetermined Treating ich (Ichthyophthirius) white spot decease

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Carole
    Participant

These stones have been tested, and do not affect PH. There is a test you can perform. The substrate is Tahitian Moon sand. I am lowering the PH using RO water. Once it is complete, I should have a PH of around 6.4 give or take a degree.
    I got them from a local specialty shop. She is calling them “angel licorice gourami”, so no help there. I have 4 P. Nagyi coming next week! Not for this tank. Thanks for all of your help Helene. 🙂

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

https://www.parosphromenus-project.org/en/forum/13-Trade/152-stocklist-of-an-oregon-dealer.html

its an old post but if you look down somewhere theres a mention of an ‘angel licorice gourami’ – this should be anjunganensis.
    Does your fish have any colour band in the tail ? If not it could well be anjunganensis also.

I dont know this sand, – but most sand will affect the ph though, or make it difficult to maintain a stable low ph.

Carole
    Participant

This is an inert substrate. It is actually a very fine gravel. I was reading here and thought sand was recommended? My other small tanks have a type of sand, but it also does not affect PH. Thanks for the help with ID. There is very little if any color to the tail, perhaps a tinge of red on one. That does resemble them. They appear to have the fine blue at the edge, one more so than the other. I am curious if I even have a pair, although they are constant companions.

Carole
    Participant

Haha..the link you posted leads to the place I am getting the nagyi from. 😉

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

I searched a bit and you can find ‘angel licorice’ used for anjunganensis in other places as well, – and anjunganensis have only red in the tail, but not as a band, but an overall colour. And they do have a very bright blue seam. You might compare with the images in our species gallery.

I never use sand, – and I think generally there is here an understanding that most sand will work against low ph. I cannot explain excatly the reason why 🙂 .. I use mostly leaves or a little peat or granules, or bare bottom, – but mostly lots of leaves (oak and beech)

I am glad to help, – hope someone with some experience though regarding the spots will come along 🙂

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

the wetspot something ? Then theres a good chance its anjunganensis, isnt there 🙂 ??
    Just noticed that we are in the american section, so you are all the way over there 🙂 ?

Carole
    Participant

Yes Orlando Florida! B)

Roger
    Participant

Nice! I’m in Virginia, and I recently got P. anjunganensis from a local importer. What’s interesting is that my own anjunganensis have ich, too 🙁 They are in a tank with some Betta brownorum. I’m currently raising the temperature to 85*F and doing a teaspoon/gal salt treatment, dripping the 5t overnight and keeping that concentration up for a week, with very small water changes every day just so I can clean up the bare bottom. I have them in a 5.5 barebottom with a poret sponge wall filter, strong aeration (for now), and some hornwort and oak leaves.

Carole
    Participant

Hi, Nice of you to join us…welcome! I am not seeing any more ich and did not treat. I only ever saw a couple spots on each. I realize they could come back. But I am guessing my fish may have been stressed from lack of food. The store thought they were eating a small prepared food. I knew they weren’t, and scrambled to get cultures I could feed. With me they went several days without eating.They are much happier now and seem to be doing great!
    I hope you can get yours well. One thing I have learned is they do not bother shrimp. they also like amphipods, which I added cultures to all three nanos today. I also got a daphnia culture, but am not seeing a whole lot of movement in it. I am hoping I can bring it back.

helene schoubye
    Keymaster

Hi
    Glad to hear that your fish didnt develop more of the supposed ick, – I think you are right that they might have been really stressed and good to hear they are recovering.
    Its also interesting to follow your treatment, HippoZosterae, – I hope it will have effect. I hope you will also tell us how things goes, any experience in terms of illnesses and treatmeant is really valuable information.
    And very welcome to the forum here 🙂

Waterfaller1, have you determined if your fish are indeed anjunganensis ?

Nils A. Seastrand
    Participant

Hi,

Having been in the aquarium business for a great part of my life, I have successfully treated so many outbreaks of Ich that I no longer consider it much more than a nuisance.Raise the temp. to as high as the fish can tollerate. I would shoot for 90 degrees F. The parasite will leave the fish and swim free in about 24 hours. At this poin you must treat with a good copper or silver based remedy( I am not a fan of MG however). In order to kill the free swimming parasite you must retreat at least three times at three day intervals. slowly bring the temp. dowm to normal range.If available to you, “Aqurisol” might be a good choice for treatment.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.