The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

Water additives

Home Forums Global Methods Water additives

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tautvilas Laureckis
    Participant

Maybe there is some additives which could be used in parosphromenus aquariums to strenghten fish immune system, make disseases not to come, beside alder cones, catappa, oak and beech leaves? I understand that the key role – good water changes, and right pH levels, but maybe it is possbilne to reccomend some materials or methods to get good results?
    Please share your expierence.

Pavel Chaloupka
    Keymaster

Well actually all that Paros and many fish from similar blackwater and very acidic environments need is what everyone here should already be trying to get in to the water. Of course we are far from being able to imitate the complex of substances that is present in their natural environments, but we do what we can. I always recomend to try a little harder and mix couple types of extracts like alder cones, Terminalia catapa leaves and beech or oak leaves on the bottom of the tank + I add Aquahum that does a great job of adding sulable salts of humic acids that are otherwise insoluable and hard to get in to the water in useful form. I do not think we can do much better preparing water. Adding other stuff like vitamins and different “special” water treatments is often counterproductive as it creates better conditions for unwanted organisms in the water. Not to mention that 99% of these are simple chemicals that everyone could buy for cents and you may be need them to treat tap water for normal tanks but you just do not need any of it for blackwater tanks.

Where we can do much better is food. You can get so many great nutrients including probiotics, vitamins and high levels of unsatureted and polysatured fatty acids as well as aminoacids and other stuff in to the food. Many live foods can be literally stuffed with all these. Of course it often takes some effort but you do not have to work with the substances as such. Sometimes even use of simple stuff like algae, yolks, basic fats that everyone has in the kitchen (rape oil) and yeast can do a great job. I hope to translate some articles about this topic in the future + add some guides and methods I use. Just please be patient with me. I have basicly zero spare time now and explaining such stuff in non native language well takes time. And it all gets worse with me being such a stickler 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.