The
PAROSPHROMENUS PROJECT

The
PAROSPHROMENUS
PROJECT

What species or form?

Home Forums Global Species What species or form?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Tom Black
    Participant

[quote=”martin” post=545]In one of “Macropode” issue Peter Finke wrote that Paro-friends are simply recognize by the pocket light near their aquarium(s) – so now I’m paro-friend!

p.s. more english issue of “Macropode” – it will be great thing :):)[/quote]

Haha, I too have a small torch next to my tank now.

Also would love more English copies of DM.

Peter Finke
    Participant

In Britain you have a fine journal, too: “Labyrinth”. And I have a good news for you: David Armitage, the editor of “Labyrinth” and our friend in the Parosphromnenus-Project, is preparing a special issue on Licorice Gouramis only, using some of the general texts and all the texts on the species that I wrote here for our website, in the translation of Christian Koepp and himself. It will be a nice booklet and it will surely promote the Licorice Gouramis in Britain! At present, he is looking for some photos, still. But the booklet will appear in 2012, I am pretty sure!

Hendrik Wimmer
    Participant

“Hi, what do you mean,is this the same species? I bought 10 fishes at may 2011 (aqua-tropica, Nürnberg) We named P. spec. aqua-tropica05/2011.”

Nobody has an opinion about?

Hendrik

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello aquaristiker, on the picture Your fish seems to have the same colors of unpaired fins – mine have diffrent colors . But maybe picture not shown they real colors?

Hendrik Wimmer
    Participant

Hello Martin, the Picture ist not so good, sorry. But the color is different. The strip in anale is turquoise, the strip in fin is more golden, like your fishes.
    My fishes are young, they are beginning to show color now.
    I will try, to make a better picture

By, Hendrik

Peter Finke
    Participant

[quote=”aquaristiker” post=548]”Hi, what do you mean,is this the same species? I bought 10 fishes at may 2011 (aqua-tropica, Nürnberg) We named P. spec. aqua-tropica05/2011.”
    Nobody has an opinion about? Hendrik[/quote]

Surely one of the many bintan-like variants that are to be found on Sumatra and in Kalimantan. I think this is the spec. Sentang which is distributed by trade quite widespread in the last two or three years. Especially Aqua – Tropica sold it in high numbers. But there might be a slight colour variation indicating a different locality than those fish came from that were traded in the last years.
    Couldn’t you try to ask the trader where the fish have been caught? It would be good to know whether on Sumatra or in Kalimantan.

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, after that “spawn’ female changed her behavior, she become more ‘robust’ and she finally defend herself strongly. I also discover one more happy thing – I have 3 female and 4 males – now I know for sure what I have. All four males become colorfull and only females stays is the base colour. These four males spread in to a whole aquarium and establish his territories. Today I saw that other female and one of males doing curtship, is wonderful seeing this – I will try to take pictures… Best regards !

Peter Finke
    Participant

Martin, if we normally recommend very small tanks the main reason is to guarantee a quick success with a single pair. But in nature, the licorice gouramis live together in groups of pairs, and you simulate that in your bigger tank. I remember Karen Koomans from the Netherlands reporting once a spawning of five pairs of P. sumatranus in one tank, and she got the impression of a co-ordinated action. She even managed to shoot some photos of this event. It looked rather strange seeing several males (in sumatranus they display vertically with heads up!) only separated by ten or fifteen centimeters in front of their mates.
    Perhaps you will experience a similar thing now and perhaps you could document it again?

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, today morning I done few pictures of curtship. As You mentioned it seems to every female has one male and I saw that one single man trying to get one of female but she’s always get back to her’s male 🙂 The curtship behavior is amazing…

Marcin Chyla
    Participant

Hello, today morning I done few pictures of curtship. As You mentioned it seems to every female has one male and I saw that one single man trying to get one of female but she’s always get back to her’s male 🙂 The curtship behavior is amazing…

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.